TTC

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Sunday 9 January 2011

Getting off to a Great Start!

Yes, that we are. : ) Our last appointment went well. Dr. Sharma did the ultrasound and took a look at my ovaries and the lining of my cervix to make sure everything was okay. I have now been officially diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrom). There are many many things that contribute to PCOS, some of which I have and some of which I don't have.


The first indicator is unusual menstrual patterns, which I have. Having a doctor ask me when I think my next period will be is always an embarrasment because I literally have no clue. It could be next week or 2 months from now for all I know. Plus, it's always hard when you want to have a child so bad and you miss a period and then instantly get excited thinking your pregnant just to have pregnancy test after pregnancy test come back negative.


The second indicator is obesity, which again I have. I'm not "obese" by much but nevertheless I'm still obese. They tell if you are obese or not based upon your BMI level. If your BMI level is 30 or above then that classifies you as obese. My BMI level is 31. Not cool!


The third indicator is family history of diabetes. I have this in my family tree. Directly linked to me infact because both my father and my grandfather have diabetes. Basically this just means that in my system somewhere my body is most likely not be dealing well with insulin. Doesn't mean I'm diabetic but it does mean I need to watch out for it because I'm definitely at risk.


The fourth indicator is androgenic (masculinizing) hormone levels. Luckily, my hormone levels are normal. Which means "I don't have to shave my face". This is a joke in which I will get to in a minute.


The fifth and sixth indicators are  found by ultrasound in which they are looking for small ovarian follicles... I found this next part on wikipedia because it describes it better than I could...  In normal menstrual cycle, one egg is released from a dominant follicle - essentially a cyst that bursts to release the egg. After ovulation the follicle remnant is transformed into a progesterone producing corpus luteum, which shrinks and disappears after approximately 12–14 days. In PCOS, there is a so called "follicular arrest", i.e., several follicles develop to a size of 5–7 mm, but not further. No single follicle reach the preovulatory size (16 mm or more). According to the Rotterdam criteria, 12 or more small follicles should be seen in an ovary on ultrasound examination. The follicles may be oriented in the periphery, giving the appearance of a 'string of pearls'. The numerous follicles contribute to the increased size of the ovaries, that is, 1.5 to 3 times larger than normal.


Basically what this is saying is that I have a lot more follicles than women with normal menstural cycles and they are smaller than they should be. It's also saying that my ovaries are slightly enlarged.... Both the 5th and 6th indicators I have. Below is a picture of an ultrasound (not mine but mine looked exactly like this but my follicles were a little smaller) of what the small follicles look like in which PCOS is instantly determined....






The last two indicators are thickening... thickening of the cervix and thickening of the walls around the ovaries. Both of which I do not have.






Now that you have had your biology lesson for the day, let me get to the fun stuff....


Above, I told you what I have and what I don't have. All of this was explained to me on Friday at my doctors appointment. When the doctor came out and told me what my diagnosis is, I laughed. I then explained to her that my last doctor had told me that PCOS wasn't something I could have simply because I don't shave my face. Get the joke now? My new doctor believes the old one should be kicked out of the medical field.......... I agree.


So now that I have an official diagnosis, we know where to go from here. There are a couple of medications I'm going to have to take... Clomid being the first which will induce ovulation and the second being Metformin which is given to people (such as my father) who have diabetes. In a few studies it has been shown that women with PCOS who were given Metformin with Clomid were able to concieve slightly faster. I am all about fast. I've been waiting 4 years to have a child, only 2 of which we have been actually trying but still. I'm ready to be a mother. It's all I have every wanted. Some people want fame and fortune but I would be perfectly happy being poor as long as I have a child that I can wrap my arms around and kiss goodnight. There is also a chance that I might have to have daily injections which will help my little follicles grow.


John still has to have his "wash & swim" swimmers test done which he will be going on the 20th for. Dr. Sharma said she will have his results that day. I have to schedule my follow up appointment for sometime after his appointment (I'm hoping for the day after) that way we can get this show on the road. I'm praying for good results from this. Once again, his appointment will be a make or break appointment. I think it'll be good enough regardless to still be able to try IUI or IVF but just incase, I'm praying anyway.


God has blessed us so far this new year... I hope He has big plans for us. After all, Dr. Sharma is "confident that we will concieve this year". : ) God, please shower us with blessings.




No comments:

Post a Comment